Your monthly Mexico newsletter is filled with inspiration, meaningful knowledge, helpful connections, and tips for better living, lifestyle, and leisure in Mexico.
Mexperience celebrates 20 years online
June 10th, 2022 marks the 20th anniversary of Mexperience.com. This website (and the internet at large) has come a long way since then; our sincere thanks to everyone who has accompanied us since the early days as well as those who recently found us.
Rain season refreshment
The first major rainstorms of the year are beginning to spring-up in some regions across Mexico and the first shoots of green are beginning to emerge from the dry and brittle landscape left parched by the dry season.
Strong windstorms are a sure sign of the seasonal change; they bring a distinct smell of moisture that lingers in the air, and when those first seasonal rain storms break the dry spell, they leave behind an unmistakable scent of earth moistened by the refreshing downpours.
June 21st heralds the start of summer in Mexico, and by early July the landscape ought to become noticeably transformed by the seasonal rains.
- Living well during Mexico’s rainy season
- Dealing effectively with mosquitoes
- Learn more about the rain season and water in Mexico
Time scales for residency visas and cards
As we mentioned in last month’s newsletter, the electronic booking system for appointments at immigration offices in Mexico is currently off-line, requiring applicants to attend immigration offices in person to ask for appointment dates. This, coupled with the demand for residency permits, has extended processing times for obtaining visas at Mexican consulates abroad, and the exchange of those visas for residency cards in Mexico.
- Learn about time scales for residency visas and cards
- Exchanging your residency visa for a residency card
When you need assistance with your residency permit application or renewals, regularization procedures, expired permits, or troubleshooting, consider using our Mexico Immigration Assistance Service. If you already have your visa and need help exchanging that for a card in Mexico, we offer a visa-to-card exchange assistance option in partnership with our associates.
More help with your Mexico lifestyle plans
We’ve introduced two new features to help you as you consider your choices and form potential plans for a lifestyle in Mexico. Our lifestyle consulting service is offered in association with lifestyle consultants who have been in Mexico for decades and know the country intimately. And a new initiative in partnership with Choosing Mexico enables you to join in helpful conversations focused on key topics about lifestyles in Mexico.
Preparing for your road trips in Mexico
Spring and summer bring heavier traffic to Mexico’s roads, and additional care ought to be exercised as the rains begin. The rain season is starting, and balding tires are especially risky this time of year, so double check your tread. We offer an extensive collection of articles as well as a free eBook about driving and road trips in Mexico to help you drive safely and enjoyably in Mexico.
- Free eBook: detailed guide to Driving & Road Trips in Mexico
- Catch-up with the latest updates about Driving in Mexico
- Learn about being properly insured when you drive in Mexico
It’s less expensive to be insured than to pay car accident damages
Mexperience is pleased to refer our readers to MexPro auto insurance, which offers comprehensive coverages valid in Mexico using English-language policies backed by a fully-licensed US insurance broker. Get a quote online.
Summer travel plans in Mexico
Summer is an ideal time of year to visit the Copper Canyon, as the rains cause the rivers to swell and the moisture imbues life, color and fragrance into the canyons’ natural habitats. We’re working now with our travel partners to bring you more travel and leisure options starting this summer (stay tuned); and we’ve also started working with a specialist hotel booking company that offers Mexperience readers specially negotiated rates at hotels in Mexico.
- Experience Mexico’s magnificent copper canyon this summer
- When you need a hotel in Mexico, check rates with HotelPlanner
Mexico lifestyle notebook – June 2022
Enjoy highlights of hand-picked articles that have been recently added or updated, as well and gems from our archives.
RFC 101: The RFC is a registration number issued by Mexico’s tax collection agency, SAT. This FAQ describes what it is, how it’s used, and how to apply for it.
Keeping up the pressure: The majority of Mexico’s water delivery is not served by pressurized systems, requiring some ingenuity to create water pressure in your home or building.
Foreign Native: The expression ‘malinchista‘ harks back five centuries to the native woman Malinche, who served as interpreter for Hernán Cortés.
Seeking shiny things: Learn about stores and emporiums where you can buy imported foods and goods which years ago were not available anywhere in Mexico.
Frequently answered: Series of articles with Frequently Asked Questions (and answers) on key topics about lifestyle and leisure in Mexico.
Calling me, calling you: Mexican cell phone plans offer unlimited calling and generous data allowances across Mexico, the US, and Canada—it’s never been more affordable to keep in touch.
Matthew Harrup is founder and editor of Mexperience.
If you’re not already subscribed to our Mexico Newsletter, sign-up now: it’s free and you’ll get an email each month with the latest round-up of news and opportunities.
Discovering more of Mexico
Mexperience offers extensive resources to help you discover, plan and realize your lifestyle and leisure experiences in Mexico.
Immigration and residency
Our extensive collection of articles and our free eBook, updated annually, help you to learn about what you need to acquire and maintain your legal residency in Mexico.
- Principal routes to obtaining residency
- Latest articles about residency in Mexico
- Free eBook: Mexico Immigration Guide
When you need assistance with your residency permit application or renewals, regularization procedures, expired permits, or troubleshooting, consider using our Mexico Immigration Assistance Service.
Our Mexico Lifestyle Planning section offers local knowledge, insights, inspiration, and ideas to help you consider choices and make your Mexico lifestyle plans.
- Latest Lifestyle Planning articles and updates
- Discover places to live in Mexico
- Explore simple and affordable lifestyles
- Free eBook: Detailed guide to living and retirement
Mexico home life
When you’ve made the move to Mexico, our Mexico Home Life section shares local knowledge, ideas, and inspiration to help you discover opportunities and settle-in well to your home and living spaces in Mexico.
Driving and road trips
Driving your own vehicle across Mexico’s extensive and well-developed road network provides an ideal way for you to explore these diverse lands and become acquainted with the local topography, the regions, the culture, and the local people in ways that no other means of transport can match.
- Latest articles about driving in Mexico
- Free eBook: Guide to driving and road trips in Mexico
- Auto insurance for your vehicle
A range of Mexico-related insurance services exist that can mitigate the effect and expense of unforeseen events and mishaps when you’re here.
- Insurances to support lifestyle activities in Mexico
- Auto Insurance
- Medical insurance options
- Medical evacuation
- Home insurance
Property and dwelling spaces
Our extensive articles and free eBooks share local insights and advice to help you find, settle-in and manage your home and dwelling spaces in Mexico.
- Browse the latest Mexico Real Estate updates
- Free eBook: Detailed guide to real estate in Mexico
- Our Mexico Home Finders section connects you to realty professionals and remarkable homes for sale
- Property eBooks: download our free eBooks about real estate
- Insure your Mexican home against natural disasters, burglary and vandalism, accidents and mishaps, and third-party liabilities
Your leisure time
Whether you’re visiting Mexico or living here, there’s an abundance of travel and leisure options for you to explore and experience.
- Browse the latest Travel & Leisure updates
- Discover Mexico’s Copper Canyon, Our associate can help you to visit the Copper Canyon on a custom tour.
- Tips for traveling with your family in Mexico
Mexico-US land border
Entering Mexico: Mexico does not require visitors to show proof of vaccination to enter the country. Tourist permits (FMMs) and temporary import permits for vehicles (TIPs) are being issued as normal.
Entering the US from Mexico: The land border restrictions imposed by the US on visitors by land from Mexico, introduced in March 2020 due to Covid-19 have been lifted, but only for visitors who can show an approved vaccination certificate. US Citizens and US legal residents do not need to show this certificate. This article describes the reopening of the Mexico-US land border.
Spanish language study
Learning or improving your Spanish will enhance your experiences in Mexico, if you’re visiting, and especially if you’re living here.
- Browse the latest updates about Spanish language study
- Our insightful PinPoint Spanish series helps you to get acquainted with the nuances of Mexican Spanish in everyday situations.
- Find courses at local schools and online
Connect to helpful Mexico Assistance Services that enable you to realize your Mexico plans.
- When you need help applying for residency, or help renewing your existing residency permit (or working through a ‘regularization’ procedure after a mishap), consider using our Mexico Immigration Assistance Service, that offers detailed consultancy, personalized advice, and practical help through the process.
- Learn about the range of Mexico-related insurance services that exist to mitigate the effect and expense of unforeseen events and mishaps when you’re here including auto, home, health and trip coverages.
- Our extensive guides and articles about insurance help you to make informed choices.
REAL ESTATE ASSISTANCE
- When you’re seeking to buy a home to buy in Mexico, our Home Finders section can help.
- Learn about insuring your home in Mexico.
- Find real estate assistance services.
- Improve your Spanish conversation capabilities with this online course tailored to current skill level and goals.
- For an immersive experience, attend a Spanish school in Mexico, where small classes and personalized attention will boost your learning.
- If you want to improve your Spanish specifically for living in Mexico, this language for lifestyle course can help.
- Find established firms and professionals who offer services commonly sought by foreign residents living in Mexico.
- Find services that help you to discover, plan, and arrange your living & lifestyle plans in Mexico.
- Find services that help you to discover, plan, and arrange leisure & travel experiences in Mexico.
MEXICO EBOOKS LIBRARY
- Our Mexico eBooks Library offers you a collection of carefully composed eBooks with helpful insights and local knowledge about Mexico—all titles are offered as free downloads.