Immigration & Visas

Legal Residency in Mexico: Residency-Related Fees for 2021

Learn about the 2021 fees when you apply for residency-related permits or a change in the status of your legal residency in Mexico

Mexico Visa Stamp in Passport

If you intend to apply for legal residency in Mexico or need to engage in some administrative process regarding your existing legal residency permit, you will need to pay some fees to facilitate the procedures.

Here is the schedule of fees for 2021.

Mexican consular fees

When you apply for a visa at a Mexican consulate abroad, the consulate will make a consular charge of $44 US dollars (or local currency equivalent if you are not in the USA) for the visa processing service.

Residente Temporal card fees

When you arrive in Mexico with your residency visa, you need to exchange this within 30 days for residency card.  The fees for exchanging a Residente Temporal visa (sticker) for a Residente Temporal card, or renewing an existing Residente Temporal card for additional year(s) are:

  • Residente Temporal 1 year: $4,413 Mexican pesos
  • Residente Temporal 2 years: $6,613 Mexican pesos
  • Residente Temporal 3 years: $8,376 Mexican pesos
  • Residente Temporal 4 years: $9,927 Mexican pesos

Note: Your first Residente Temporal permit is always issued for only one year. Renewals after the first year may grant an additional 1, 2, or 3 years of temporary residency – fees as above.

Residente Temporal Estudiante card fees

People applying for a Residente Temporal Estudiante (temporary resident permit as a student in Mexico) are charged the consulate fee (see above) but there are no charges to exchange the visa (sticker) for a card, and there are no charges to renew the card for additional year(s). However, note that temporary residency as a student carries additional restrictions which other temporary residents do not have.

Residente Permanente card fee

The fee for exchanging a Residente Permanente visa (sticker) for a Residente Permanente card is $5,379 Mexican pesos.  This is also the fee when you convert a temporary residency card to a permanent residency card, see next section.

Fee for converting Residente Temporal to Residente Permanente

If after 4 consecutive years living in Mexico under the auspice of Residente Temporal or Residente Temporal Estudiante you apply to convert your temporary residency status to a permanent residency in Mexico, you will need to pay $1,410 Mexican pesos in addition to the fee for the Residente Permanente card, see previous section.

Exit/Re-entry permit fees

If you need to leave Mexico while a residency-related procedure is in-train, you will need to apply and pay for an Exit/Re-entry permit, as you will not be in possession of your residency documents while the procedure is administered. The fee for an Exit/Re-entry permit is $451 Mexican pesos.  Note that if you are in the throes of a ‘regularization’ procedure (e.g., expired, or lost residency card—see below), you cannot get this permit and you must remain in Mexico until the regularization procedure is complete.

Residency card replacement fee

If your Temporary or Permanent residency card becomes damaged or lost, you will need to apply for a new card and pay a replacement fee.  This is currently $1,410 Mexican pesos.  Residency card replacement procedures depend on whether you lost your card in Mexico or abroad, and you will need to enter into a bureaucratic procedure to get it replaced.  Consider using our Immigration Assistance Service to help you.

Residency status ‘Regularization’ fee

If you need to enter a ‘Regularization’ procedure (for example, if your residency card has expired) then you will need to pay a ‘Regularization’ fee of $1,410 Mexican pesos in addition to any other fees/fines.  ‘Regularization’ procedures tend to be complex so consider using our Immigration Assistance Service to help you.

Work permission fee on Residente Temporal card

If you apply for work permissions on a Residente Temporal card, a fee of $3,314 Mexican pesos will be levied in addition to any other fees (e.g., visa sticker exchange fee, ‘Regularization’ fee).

Note: If you hold a Residente Permanente card you don’t need to pay this fee, but you must inform the immigration office about any changes to your work arrangements.

Family Unit FMM exchange fee

If you apply to exchange a Visitor’s Visa (FMM) in-country for a residential permit (Residente Temporal or Residente Permanente) under the Family Unit rules you will need to pay a fee of $1,410 Mexican pesos in addition the resident card fee listed above.

Get assistance with your residency application or renewal

If you need personal assistance to help you prepare your application (for example, completing the application forms, writing the covering letter, etc.), deal with renewal procedures, or advice with troubleshooting or regularization procedures, consider using our Mexico Immigration Assistance service.

Mexico in your inbox

Our free newsletter about Mexico brings you a monthly round-up of recently published stories and opportunities, as well as gems from our archives.