Immigration & Visas, Living, Retirement, Working

Mexico Offers Special Residency Procedure

If you hold an immigration document that expired before Jan 1, 2020, you can apply for temporary residency in Mexico under a special procedure

Temporary Residency Documents Mexico

If your Mexican visitor permit, visa, or temporary residency card expired before January 1, 2020 and you’re still physically in Mexico, you can apply for temporary residency under this invitation from the National Institute of Immigration (INM)

Mexico’s immigration institute, the ministry responsible for managing visitor and residency permits, has announced a special ‘regularization’ procedure open to people currently in Mexico with a visitor permit, visa, or residency card that expired before January 1, 2020.

What is the ‘regularization’ offer?

Under the Mexican immigration rules, an ‘irregular’ immigration status is one where your current immigration permit has expired, or you violate one or more of the rules associated with immigration law.

If you are physically present in Mexico now and you hold an immigration document (Visitor permit, visa, or Temporary Resident card) that expired before January 1, 2020 (i.e. your current immigration status is ‘irregular’) you can apply for a special ‘regularization’ procedure that will grant you four years of temporary residency without the need to show proof of income, savings, or family connections usually required to obtain legal residency.

Who can apply?

Any foreign person holding a Mexican immigration document that expired before January 1, 2020 may apply for this regularization procedure that offers four years of temporary residency.  You cannot apply for less than four years of residency.

What does it cost?

You will need to pay for four years of temporary residency, which is currently around MXN$10,000 Mexican pesos (approximately US$500).

You will also need to pay for the ‘regularization’ fee of MXN$1,410 pesos and a fine, the amount of which is assessed on per-case basis by the local immigration office, and depends on the individual circumstances of the case.

How do I apply?

This special ‘regularization’ procedure can be undertaken in Mexico without the need to leave the country and apply at a Mexican consulate abroad (as is usual with most residency applications).

The application begins with the completion of an online form and covering letter and afterwards you have to attend your local immigration office to complete further steps of the procedure and get your temporary residency card.  If you need help with the application, you can contact your nearest office or consider using our Mexico Immigration Assistance service for support throughout the procedure.

What happens after four years?

At the end of the four year period, holders of this temporary residency can, optionally, apply for it to be exchanged for permanent residency in Mexico.  You can learn about the procedures to make this exchange in our free Mexico Immigration Guide.

What if my immigration document is current or expired after January 1, 2020?

Foreign residents who hold valid (current) visitor permits, visas, or residency cards, or whose documentation expired on or after January 1, 2020 do not qualify for this special regularization procedure and cannot apply for legal residency under the terms of this offer.

How long does the offer last?

The immigration institute has not stated an end date for this special procedure.  If you are currently in Mexico and qualify, it’s best to apply at your earliest convenience.  Temporary residency qualification usually carries income or savings requirements and foreigners usually need to leave Mexico to begin the residency application procedure.  This offer waives those requirements for qualifying persons and makes it straightforward to ‘regularize’ your legal residency status here in Mexico.

Mexico Immigration Assistance

If you need assistance with your plans, our Mexico Immigration Assistance Service provides advice and practical help that helps you through the entire residency application or renewal process, including ‘regularization’ procedures.

Download the Mexico Immigration guide – free

Our free Mexico Immigration guide offers you comprehensive information about visas and residency in Mexico.

Download your free copy from the Mexperience eBooks Library.

Mexico in your inbox

Our free newsletter about Mexico brings you a monthly round-up of recently published stories and opportunities, as well as gems from our archives.


  1. Rick C says

    Hola, I have a Temporary Residency card that expired in December, 2018. I also have a current FMM, good for 180 days, that I just got last month. Would I qualify for the Amnesty? Gracias

  2. Woodie Ross says

    Obtaining a four year residence status after violating the immigration laws, and without having to go through the standard expensive and painful process of leaving Mexico and applying at the Mexican Consulate in the United States?

    That is a slap in the face to those of us who respected the law and went through all the proper procedures only to wind up with a one year Residente Temporal.

    • Mexperience says

      This offer is only open to a small segment of people and looks like a program to encourage those who have been in Mexico a long while to formalize their residency status. Most of the people we have come to know of who qualify have family connections here and so would qualify under Family Unit rules anyway (don’t need to leave, etc.)

Add a New Comment on this article


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *