Mexperience Mexico Newsletter — May 2021
Land border restrictions have been extended to May 21st, 2021
Mexico’s land border restrictions have been extended again; however, we are hearing that American citizens are driving and walking into Mexico without hindrance. Tourist permits (FMMs) and temporary vehicle import permits (TIPs) are being issued as normal. This article summarizes the restrictions and the comments section contains anecdotal notes left by local travelers. Note that Flights between the US and Mexico are not affected by this restriction, although international passengers flying to the US need to get tested and Canada has introduced testing requirements for people entering the country via its land border.
May highlights in Mexico
We’re passing through the hottest weeks of the year; as late spring makes itself felt across the parched landscapes eagerly awaiting the seasonal rains, here are some practical tips for getting through these dustiest days of the dry season. Mexico’s rain season begins in May or June. Depending on where you are (or where you visit) refreshing respite from the long dry days is just around the corner.
Mother’s Day falls on a Monday this year—in Mexico, the occasion isn’t moved to nearest Sunday; and with the horario de verano now entrenched across the country, daylight is extended well into the late evenings.
Mexico’s new $100 peso banknote won an international design award; Foreign Native comments on the changing faces of the country’s paper currency.
We’re preparing to bring additional services and support to you this summer, including new titles in our Mexico eBooks Library and the launch this month of Mexico Home Life that highlights remarkable residential properties for sale.
Mexico lifestyle & leisure
- Mother’s Day on May 10 isn’t a national holiday in Mexico, but not a great deal gets done that day. It isn’t moved to the nearest Sunday like Father’s Day, or Mother’s Day in other countries.
- Mexico’s highland topography and the rich nutrients in its volcanic soils combine to create an ideal natural environment for growing fine quality coffee beans; learn more about enjoying Mexican coffees.
- Mexico offers you the opportunity to simplify your lifestyle, reconsider what’s most important to you, and rebalance your finances. Our articles about living simply provide insights and links to useful resources.
- If you’re seeking to take a pause and consider your options, this self-development workshop in Sayulita might interest you.
- Whatever your circumstances, your choice of location in Mexico can determine how well you settle and thrive here. Our article about matching your needs to your location provides helpful guidance.
- Some property transfers in Mexico offer possession but not legal title; learn about the important difference and the practicalities of buying and selling untitled land.
- Our Mexico Home Life section, launched this month, highlights remarkable residential property for sale in Mexico.
- Swimming pools are ideal for these hot months of the year, although they need constant attention and a maintenance plan to keep them in good working order.
- Our free 2021 Mexico Immigration Guide encapsulates everything you need to know in one eBook. Our latest articles about visas and immigration keep you apprised of current situations including financial criteria for residency, fees, and procedures.
- If you need assistance with your residency permit application or renewals, regularization procedures, expired permits, or troubleshooting, consider using our Mexico Immigration Assistance Service.
If you need assistance with your residency permit application or renewals, regularization procedures, expired permits, or troubleshooting, consider using our Mexico Immigration Assistance Service.
- Exploring a tidy arrangement of words in Spanish usage that most usually leads to the listener’s disappointment
- Our insightful PinPoint Spanish series helps you to get acquainted with the nuances of Mexican Spanish in everyday situations.
- The rains return to the Copper Canyon in July, when the rivers swell and the flora bloom, making summer the most popular time of year for visitors to take a journey on the Copper Canyon train. Learn about the Copper Canyon and arrange a tour to get the most from your visit.
- Discover extraordinary travel experiences, with inspiration, tips, and advice to plan and enjoy your leisure time in Mexico.
Mexico’s gradual and phased reopening
Mexico continues to undergo a phased reopening of its economic, cultural, educational, and social activities. Each region and municipality is implementing a custom reopening plan based on a color-coded ‘traffic light’ system so the restrictions vary depending on each region and/or locality. Covid updates
Connect to helpful services that enable you to realize your Mexico plans.
- When you need help applying for residency, or help renewing your existing residency permit (or working through a ‘regularization’ procedure after a mishap), consider using this Mexico Immigration Assistance Service, that offers detailed consultancy, personalized advice, and practical help through the process.
- Learn about the range of Mexico-related insurance services that exist to mitigate the effect and expense of unforeseen events and mishaps when you’re here including auto, home, health and trip coverages.
- Our extensive guides and articles about insurance help you to make informed choices.
REAL ESTATE SERVICES
- Mexico Home Life highlights remarkable residential properties for sale in Mexico
- Learn about insuring your home in Mexico
- Discover this unique online course that will help you to improve your Spanish language skills in everyday lifestyle situations
- For an immersive experience, attend a Spanish school in Mexico, where small classes and personalized attention will boost your learning.
- Find services that help you to discover, plan, and arrange leisure & travel experiences in Mexico.
MEXICO EBOOKS LIBRARY
- Our redesigned eBooks Library offers you a range of carefully composed eBooks with helpful insights and local knowledge about Mexico.
Explore Mexico beyond the cookie-cutter and find experiences to enjoy that reflect the true spirit of Mexico.
Discover Mexico through articles and features written by people who know Mexico intimately.
If you’re not already subscribed to our Mexico Newsletter, sign-up now: it’s free and you’ll get an email each month with the latest round-up of news and opportunities.
Mexperience offers a wide range of articles that will help you to plan your road trip in Mexico. Our article about bringing your foreign-plated car to Mexico covers key points you need to know, and our (updated) article on Temporary Import Permits (TIPs) shares valuable information about ensuring your vehicle remains legal here. Don’t forget to insure your vehicle before you cross the border as your US or Canadian policy won’t cover you for third party liabilities. Our guides and articles about Driving in Mexico are filled with practical advice for drivers.
Matthew Harrup is founder and editor of Mexperience
Mexico in your inbox
Our free newsletter about Mexico brings you a monthly round-up of recently published stories and opportunities, as well as gems from our archives.