Living, Mexico Essentials, Transportation

Mexico-US Land Border Restrictions Continue Until at Least November 21st

The Mexico-US land border remains closed to all but "essential crossings" until at least November 21st. This article lists the definitions of essential and non-essential crossings

US Mexico Land Border on Map

The land border restrictions announced on March 21, 2020 due to Covid-19 —and extended each month since then— have been extended again.  The land border between the United States and Mexico will now remain restricted to ‘essential’ crossings only until at least November 21st, 2020.  Air travel between the United States and Mexico remains unrestricted.  News of the extension was confirmed on October 16th, by the Embassy of Mexico in the US.

US-Mexico Land Border Closed to All But “Essential Crossings”

The Mexico-US land border is closed to all but “essential crossings.”  Non-essential crossings are prohibited until at least November 21st, 2020.

What is defined as an “Essential Crossing”

According to legal Notices published on the US Federal Register, “essential travel” (permitted crossings) are defined as:

  • U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents returning to the United States;
  • Individuals traveling for medical purposes (e.g., to receive medical treatment in the United States);
  • Individuals traveling to attend educational institutions;
  • Individuals traveling to work in the United States (e.g., individuals working in the farming or agriculture industry who must travel between the United States and Mexico in furtherance of such work);
  • Individuals traveling for emergency response and public health purposes (e.g., government officials or emergency responders entering the United States to support Federal, state, local, tribal, or territorial government efforts to respond to Covid-19 or other emergencies);
  • Individuals engaged in lawful cross-border trade (e.g., truck drivers supporting the movement of cargo between the United States and Mexico);
  • Individuals engaged in official government travel or diplomatic travel;
  • Members of the U.S. Armed Forces, and the spouses and children of members of the U.S.
  • Armed Forces, returning to the United States; and
  • Individuals engaged in military-related travel or operations.

What crossings are prohibited now

According to the Notice, the following activities do not fall under the definition of “essential travel” and are prohibited:

  • Individuals traveling for tourism purposes (e.g., sightseeing, recreation, gambling, or attending cultural events);
  • It has also been stated that shopping trips and routine family visits are prohibited;
  • Mexicans and other foreign nationals with US tourist visas are not permitted to enter the United States by land, rail or sea ferry unless they can prove their trip falls under the definition of “essential travel” as described above.

Flights not affected, but…

According to the official Notice, the land border restrictions do not affect flights to and from Mexico “at this time,” but you should check with the airline you intend to travel with as restrictions might be in place depending on your destination(s).  Countries in Europe and elsewhere are beginning to introduce quarantine periods for arriving passengers, including their own citizens/residents.

Rail and sea travel

Freight rail and sea travel is not affected, but passenger rail and sea ferries between Mexico and the US are affected by these restrictions.

US and Canadian citizens returning home

US citizens and lawful permanent residents of the US returning home to the United States are not affected by these restrictions.

Canadian citizens who wish to drive home are probably able to cross into the US for onward passage to Canada, but we recommend you contact the Canadian or US Consulate for advice.

If you have a foreign-plated vehicle in Mexico

If you are currently in Mexico with a foreign-plated vehicle with a TIP (Temporary Import Permit) we understand that Banjercito —the Agency that administers the permits— is not giving any extensions to TIP expiry dates due to Covid.  If you fail to drive your vehicle out of Mexico before the TIP expires, the vehicle will become illegal in Mexico (this affects the validity of you your auto insurance) and you will lose your deposit.  A TIP’s validity is usually tied to the expiry date of a Visitor Permit (FMM) or a Residente Temporal permit.

Traveling to Mexico from the United States

Mexico has not imposed any legal restrictions on passengers or vehicles entering Mexico by land from the United States; however, we understand that tourists may be turned away and that several towns near the US land border have set-up road blocks to demand ID from people arriving; people are being turned back at these road blocks if they cannot prove they live locally.

If you’re a Mexican citizen, or you have a legal residency permit, —or residency visa sticker to exchange for Mexico Residente Temporal or Residente Permanente status— you can cross the border by road and return home to Mexico.  See this article on expiring residency permits if your existing Mexican residency permit is near or past its expiry date.

Mexico in your inbox

Our free newsletter about Mexico brings you a monthly round-up of recently published stories and opportunities, as well as gems from our archives.


  1. Juliet says

    As a UK resident with a UK passport could I spend two weeks in Mexico then fly into Phoenix? The Government website States UK citizens are not allowed to enter the US if ‘they have been in the UK or Shenzhen area in the last 14 days.’ Am I right to assume if I was to stay in Mexico City for two weeks I should be able to fly into Phoenix? Any information would be welcomed.

    • John K says

      In general people arriving from countries not on the US list banned from entering due to Covid are allowed to enter the US, the list of countries currently includes the (EU-Schengen space, UK, Ireland, Iran, Brazil, China). In other words you could fly in from Turkey even, which is currently also allowing foreigners in as there is no ban from that country. Mexico works too of course but so does any other Latin American country except for Brazil.

  2. George says

    Could a uk citizen, spend two weeks in Mexico then fly into Dallas? I ask as the Government website States uk citizens are not allowed to enter the us if “ they have been in the uk of Shenzhen area in the last 14 days” so assuming I was to stay in cancun for two weeks I should be able to fly into Dallas? Any answer would be great thankyou


  3. Richie says

    Hi all, we are a swiss/english family currently traveling in the US with an RV. We a trying to extend our visa here in the states but would like to continue our travels through Mexico come january or February 2021. However, if we get denyed our extention we‘d have to leave immediately. My question is: does Mexico issue TIP‘s right now and also, what about tourist cards? Thanks for your help!

    • Joan says

      Tourists are crossing into Baja at Mexicali as we speak. You can get a tourist pass for 180 days at the border. Don’t need a vehicle pass for Baja. It’s like covid restrictions aren’t on. Business as usual.Good place to wait out the pandemic.

  4. Ramiro Lozano says

    Hi. I am Mexican and I own a property in TX. Am i allowed to cross the border to the USA to pay my taxes? Is this an essential activity so i can travel to the USA and back to Mexico?

  5. Jim Kolbo says

    I am planning on crossing the border to Mexico at the Nogales crossing on or about the 6th of November. I have seen many posts about people that have crossed several times but don’t know how recently. We own a condo in Mazatlan and have been wintering there since 2005. I would appreciate any comments from those of you that crossed at Nogales recently. I would like to thank you, in advance for your comments.

    • Shelli Neufeld says

      We are Canadians and arrived at the beginning of October, driving through the Nogales border. They only checked our temperature and that was it. No questions asked. We also got a green light. They did not mention a quarantine time, but we self quarantined.

    • Tom says

      Carry proof of ownership with you. I have not heard of any problems crossing going south. We are in San Carlos and many Americans are coming down.

  6. Jennifer says

    My husband and I are Canadian Citizens, we own property in Mazatlan, my husband has his PR, and I (no PR) own the vehicle (Canadian plates, we would get our 6 month vehicle permit at KM 21, already has MEX car Insurance). We would be crossing US/Mex border in Nov 2020, and assuming all Canadian/USA/Mex borders still closed, we plan to ship our vehicle from Canada to US, Fly to US and pick up vehicle to drive to Mazatlan. Will we have any issues crossing the US/Mex border?

    • Casey says

      Any more info on this Jennifer? I’m Canadian in the US and wanting to drive down.

    • Alfred says

      Restrictions only apply to Mexican crossing to the United States, Mexico have no restrictions for tourists and on your way back to Canada you shouldn’t have problems neither.

  7. RHD says

    I want to drive a Mexican rental car across the border at Nogales for a maximum 2-night stay in Tucson to pick up some things I had to leave with a friend. I am a US-born citizen with permanent residency in Mexico. Will I have any trouble crossing the border and returning in November?

  8. Kathy Narvaez says

    My daughter-in-law (Mexican citizen, U.S. green card) and her two-year old (U.S. Citizen) want to visit family in Mexico for a month while my son, her husband, is recovering from a serious illness. They can’t fly because the baby is traumatized when forced to wear a mask.

    Is it possible for her brother (Mexican citizen) to cross the El Paso border from Mexico to the U.S. to pick her up and take her back to Mexico to be with her family? Will he get blocked from crossing the border coming to the U.S. from Mexico?

    • Linda Maliney says

      It is against all Heath guidelines for a baby to be required to wear a mask. Contact the airlines and talk to their civil rights dept. no health organization requires a baby to wear a mask.

      • Kathryn Narvaez says

        American Airlines requires that all infants 24 months and older wear a mask or they cannot fly. Our pediatrician agrees with you that babies shouldn’t be required to wear a mask. Unfortunately, they can’t board the plane or stay on the plane unless she wears a mask.

        • Iram Aguirre says

          Couldn’t she travel to El Paso and then cross the border walking so her brother picks her up at Juarez?

      • Herb says

        A two year old is not a baby. Look at American Airlines requirements which exempts children UNDER two years of age from the mask requirement. The parents need to begin training the child at home to wear a mask by making it a game or fun time.

  9. mart says

    As canadian citizen can i fly to Mexico from the US and fly back in the US after?

    • Shelli Neufeld says

      Our son recently flew to our daughter’s wedding here in Mexico. We flew him from Canada, but he did have a layover in Dallas. We also flew into LAX from Canada and then drove across the border. We are permanent residents in Mexico. We had no problem or issues regarding flight or driving.

  10. Jeannie says

    Can you cross the border in San Diego? Planning a trip to Baja mid October. Does anyone have any advice?

    • Gus says

      I am going too ! Driving to Baja with my friend and my dog. My friends go all the time to Mexico and back from San Diego ! They never have problems so I assume it will be ok too ! Just have to be an American citizen to get back !

  11. Kristin says

    has anyone from the northeast went driving to Mexico without problems? we are trying to go to a funeral and are driving from Wisconsin

  12. Mike says

    My girlfriend and I are US born citizens and looking to drive into Mexico for a week. If I’m reading this correctly, we have NO issues, correct? Please confirm 🙂

    • Tammy Bentrott says

      What good does it do to close the Border between the US and Mexico if Mexico never enforces it? They are doing nothing limiting people from driving into Mexico from the US.

    • Julia says

      No Mike, you guys won’t have any issues. However, it is pretty stupid to travel in the middle of a pandemic.

      • Gus says

        🤪😂😂😂😂😂😂 A pandemic with a lethality rate of .06% 😂😂😂😂😂

    • Belinda Garcia says

      My husband and i went last week no problems. Be sure to take registration on vehicle. They asked for it going into mexico

  13. Rita says

    I go to Nogales Mexico to buy medicine due to cheaper cost. Haven’t been since COVID in March. Need to go again. Can I cross over, buy the medicine and return with no problem now like I used to Pre-COVID?

    • AB says

      You should be able to. I go there once a month for the same purpose too. When I come back I just say so. Apparently, The US, Mexico, and Canada reached this agreement about only letting “essential” traffic thru their borders only. It appears that only the US and Canada are enforcing this agreement, and I haven’t had problems when they ask me what I was doing in Mexico (or course, you have to be a citizen or a green card holder). Now, for the mexican side, for the 4th of July weekend Sonora wanted to act tough and deny entry to non essential travelers (Nogales area). It was just a charade, the inspection port was set up after every non essential traveler went thru and was already inside Mexico. Also, when they actually did set it up, it was like around 11 AM for a couple of days and for a few hours. I think they denied a few out of 1000s that went thru. I’ve had friends since then going to San Carlos and Rocky Point to party and nothing else (they just say they are visiting family, if they happen to get asked). I know they are wrong, but Mexico should have REALLY done something concrete if they didn’t want non essential travelers in their country.

    • JOHN says

      I am a US citizen. In the past two months I have twice personally crossed into Nogales, Mexico for medication and dental care and returned to the US the same day. I had no problems doing so. There weren’t even any temperature checks or questions going in either direction.

  14. Joe says

    I’m an artist that lives in California, California resident…wants to go rent a home in baja for a year. Can I do that? thanks

  15. Phil says

    Can A Mexican citizen with a valid passport, and a round trip ticket fly to Tijuana , and enter into the U.S. using the CBX crossing in the Tijuana terminal ?. Returning to Mexico a few days later using CBX again.

    • Margarita Martinez says

      Hey Phil were you able to get an answer to your cbx question because I had the same one.

  16. Henry says

    I have a Work VISA L and I had to come to Mexico since my grandma passed away, my visa expires by the end of September so I want to know if I would have any issues with Immigration as I plan to flight back this Friday, my I94 expires until next year on May.

    • Lori says

      I believe you would have problems if you do not have a green card. Consult an immigration lawer!

  17. Laura says

    My husband, 2 kids and I are possibly planning to drive to Hermosillo from Tucson in March, then fly from Hermosillo to Puerto Vallarta. The flights are 1/4 the price of flying from AZ. I am hearing conflicting info about getting in to Mexico by car. I have heard that those with a hotel/flight reservation are being let through. Anyone know?

      • Tom Tunnell says

        We are going in a month. Any problem at the boarder?

    • Bp. Martin says

      You can get in from US to Mexico by car if you are US citizen or permanent resident.

      I have crossed and flown from Tijuana 3 times since June.

      • JR. Mitchell says

        If i want to go to tijuana what do i need to say or do at the border to be able to get into mexico as an american? If I’m not sick will they let me in?

        How is it different now getting into and out of mexico than it was before? Please let me know. I am very interested in going.

  18. Patsy Lopez says

    Last year my family and I traveled to from North Carolina to Morelia via road. We had no problems everything was safe a lot of patrol. Anyone know if the caravans with Bienvenido Paisano will happen this year. Has anyone drove to Mexico within the last months. Help! According to the article no nonessential travel until 9/21/2020.

  19. Farah Cortez says

    My step kids want to come here to the US for Christmas, does anyone know, can they cross over from Tijuana to San Ysidro to get to San Diego airport? Or will they have to fly direct from Mexico?

  20. AJ says

    Please help me. This is time sensitive ! My friend wants to come back to Orlando from Mexico and visit. She is a Mexican citizen. She has a active up to date tourist visa. She tried to drive to the border to get a new permission ? But was told she could not cross to get it. She is flying here to orlando .. does she need this special permission since she is flying !? Or when she goes through customs in orlando they will give her permission. Thanks you .. please help !

    • Karen says

      The I-94 is only if you’re traveling 25 miles from the border and/or staying in the U.S. for more than 6 months. Then the answer is yes, she needs her I-94 or at the airport the agents will stamp her passport.

    • eric says

      My sister flew in a month ago to LAX and they are allowing by plane only yo enter under tourist visas holders

      • Claudia Siqueiros says

        Did she gave to say why she was there? Or just visting?

    • Lori says

      I believe only us citizens or green card holders can go through the borfer right now, tourist visas are not permitted. Ask an immigration lawer to be sure!

  21. Marina Smith says

    I have heard that UK citizens are travelling to Mexico, staying for two weeks and then entering the US by air and being allowed entry. Surely this is only possible if they have a work visa??

    • Steve says

      Hi Marina – where have you heard this? Do you know people who have done so? I’m currently figuring out how to gain someone entry to the US via this route and trying to see if it actually works! Thanks

      • Marie H. says

        Any update on whether it’s possible to stay in Mexico for 14 days and then continue your travels to the US as a EU citizen who holds an approved ESTA? I am planning to enter the US this way to see my partner after 7 months of being seperated due to the pandemic.

        • Lisa Torres says

          HI Marie – I have the same situation for my boyfriend who has a 3-yr 01 visa and has been stuck in France for 7 months. From the people I’ve spoken to, the best bet for an EU citizen to get into the US now is through Mexico, however I do not believe that a 14-day quarantine is required, but if is better if you are traveling from a lower risk area such as Baja California. Another option is to quarantine for 2 weeks in the UK, then enter the US. Hope this helps:)

      • Tammy Bentrott says

        I know several people who have just driven into Mexico. No problems whatever. No temperature checks . They are only going for recreational purposes.

  22. Ramona says

    Regarding individuals traveling to United States with a Visa to work as an Agricultural worker, 1. How long is the Visa?
    2. During their time working must they report their work locations?
    3. Is their a specific name for this Visa for agricultural workers?
    4. What is the cost for such a Visa?
    5. Is this Agricultural Visa restricted to only certain times of the year and certain parts of USA?

  23. Lorena says

    I need to drive to Tijuana to visit an ill family member. My boyfriend wants to come with me so I do not drive alone. We are both U.S. Citizens. I have a passport card, but my boyfriend does not. Will his birth certificate and valid driver’s license be enough? We tried getting his passport but all agencies near us are not open at this time. Anyone else gone to Tijuana without a passport?

    • Eli sanders says

      He needs a passport or passport card to cross back into the US

      • Russ says

        I’ve crossed back with just my California drivers license.

    • Hootan says

      I don’t agree with Eli. US citizens cannot be turned away from entering the USA at the border. Your boyfriend may get hassled and have to speak to multiple people but should be let back in with the birth certificate and DL.

      Your boyfriend may, however, not be allowed into Mexico depending upon how vigilant the Mexican officials are in doing their job. Technically, you can’t enter foreign countries without a passport.

      • Simon says

        Ok. And how he is going to enter Mexico without a passport?

        • Karen says

          Nobody needs a passport to enter in Mexico. I’m from México and one of the most wonderful experience is that Mexico welcomes you with open arms.

    • Velynda says

      Hello, I wasn’t sure if you already went to Tijuana but you don’t need a passport to cross over back to the USA. An ID Card, birth certificate and driver’s license are examples of items you can bring to show identification that he is a US citizen.

    • eric says

      i just came back on Saturday night (5days ago) I saw people handing birth certificates to CBP officers at the San Ysidro port of land entry by car. They may warn or lecture you but just tell them unable to get a appointment for passport due to covid

    • Jose says

      He can travel back to the US but be ready for a possible secondary inspection, just be sure to bring your driver’s license and birth certificate. It can last for a few minutes or hours long.

    • Samantha says

      If he is not flying he doesn’t need a passport. The DL and birth certificate are enough

    • Ralph says

      I think you should be able to get a passport card through your local courthouse??

  24. tim says

    Thats bullsquirt you have kept my fiance stuck across the border since the outbreak, are you actually going to open the border or just keep adding a month at a time like they have been doing, so is the 21 of Sept it or will it turn into October then November then December,….?????

  25. Isabella Gomez says

    I plan take a flight from Tijuana to Cabo but I live in the US. Will I be able to cross the bridge to the airport?

    • Vidal Demonti says

      As far as I understand, you should have no problem crossing CBX to enter the Tijuana terminal for your flight. I received the CBX newsletter recently and it mentioned specific that air travel is not restricted in any way.

      • Cici Games says

        were you able to obtain a tourist permit across the border or did u get it when u arrived to Cabo? I live along border and flying from one Mexican city to another.

  26. David Novelo says

    I’m planning to drive from Mexico City to Austin TX on December 2020.
    Are there any news that the non-essential travels/crossings will still be in effect by then? Thanks.

    • Stephanie says

      In June I drove from Queretaro to Oregon via Texas and then returned to my home near San Luis de la Paz at the end of the month (July). I had no trouble in either direction though I am a temporary resident in Mexico. Hope this helps.

  27. Albert says

    I really need advice. I have a car from the US with valid TIP (but I’m not US citizen) so I cannot leave Mexico by land. I need to go back to my home country (Europe). If I leave the car in Mexico at my friend’s place, will they stop me at the airport? What will happen If I do not come back for my car? Will they charge me an extra fee or just not return my deposit ($200 USD).
    Thank you in advance!!!

    • gerhard says

      you can fly to Europe with no problems the dont check your car tip on airports. if you come back you can do some thing to drive the car to the US or sale the car now.

    • eric says

      do you have a U.S. permanent Residence card? (Green card) you can fly into the U.S. as that is not restricted at this moment. And just have a friend with a green card or citizenship of u.s. cross the car back into the u.s. for you. Once the TIN expires the car is illegally in mainland México tho that law does not apply to the Baja peninsula as you do not need to have a TIN to drive there. I know my family is from Ensenada

    • prerna says

      may i know what you did?
      as i have similar situation. however in my case i will be coming back to mexico within 3weeks and my car TIP will be valid for another 3 months but my FMM (tourist card) date will be changed while exiting country which doesn’t match with my car TIP .
      is that issue?

  28. Chad S. says

    My wife is a Mexican citizen and permanent US resident, and our kids have dual citizenship. They will be traveling back home to US by land from Mexico. My in-laws are Mexican citizens with US travel visas, and will be driving my family back. Will my in-laws be able to cross into US? Or will I need to meet my wife and kids at the border and bring them across myself?

    • Karen says

      No, your in-laws can’t cross the border right now. I recommend you to meet your wife and kids at the border.

  29. Marissa says

    I would like to make a furniture donation to some shelters in Tijuana. I am planning on driving with the goods at the San Ysidro port of entry. All people traveling with me to donate have US passports and we will be spending less than a day in Mexico. Does anyone know if this is permitted? I can see there aren’t any restrictions for traveling into Mexico, but would hate to be turned away at the border.

    • Michael McCay says

      There is a good chance that you will be stopped at the border and asked to explain all this furniture that you’re bringing over. There’s a very good chance that you’ll have to pay import duties and taxes on the value of what you’re bringing, even if they’re donations. I do volunteer work in Tijuana, and recentely we have found it much better to coordinate with someone local to let Mexican customs know ahead of time what we’re bringing over, get a total cost and be ready with the paperwork and payment on arrival. Mexico, like most countries, has had import regulations for some time, but they are now more stringent about enforcing them at the border.

  30. Lety says

    Can I take a flight to the u.s.a. if I have a visa?

    • Mexperience says

      Hi Lety, as the article states, there are no restrictions on Air Travel so you can fly between the US and Mexico. Check with your airline for details.

      • Lisa Hernandez says

        Can a Mexican resident fly into the United States if not an essential worker

  31. Lexie-Rose Keck says

    I just want to see the love of my life. It’s been almost 100 days

  32. Janeth says

    Hi, I am a US citizen planning to drive down to Mexico due to medical reasons, what documents/requirements/answers will be necessary to provide to prove the essential trip?

    • Laura J says

      Can we sail to sea of Cortez in November? From California.

    • Robert says

      I live in El Paso and frequently cross to Juarez. No one asks me to prove anything. Upon returning , PERHAPS they will ask you the reason for your trip. “Dentist” is fine.
      I am in Mazatlan now and flew in from Phoenix. I took the ferry to Baja ( US passport) and had no problems. I don’t know if Mexico is still issuing tourist cards at land borders, but you can get one by flying into Mexico from the US. No Covid related questions as of August 2020. You can park the car in the US and walk over- Mexico never stops me or asks me anything. They had a nice young lady taking temperatures at the start of the pandemic but she is gone now.

      • Robert says

        PS- I wanted to add that when I made an appointment with my banker in El Paso ( I can’t just walk in anymore due to the fear of Covid 19) and I casually mentioned I was recently in Mexico , the banker looked like she saw a ghost and blurted out ” oh, we don’t allow anyone from Mexico unless you quarantine first!”. The Boogeyman always comes from another place! This was right near the border and I was tempted to say ” Gee, the wind is blowing!” The virus is everywhere now and it it time to stop restrictions on travel and just take reasonable person precautions. Enjoy Mexico! I am thankful it is open to US citizens.

    • Richard Fryer says

      “Traveling to Mexico from the United States
      Mexico has not imposed any legal restrictions on passengers or vehicles entering Mexico by land from the United States”

      Read the article

  33. Josué Carranza says

    I am a U.S. citizen and am currently a permanent resident of Mexico. My wife (Mexican but with a U.S. visa) and I plan to cross the border. Do the restrictions apply to her right now or because of being married to me a U.S. citizen will she be able to cross without difficulty?

    • Celeste says

      She has to be able to prove she lives there but she needs also needs to prove she is not living in Mexico undocumented. She will need proof of immigration if you get stopped going in.

  34. Chelsea M says

    I am traveling to Punta De Mita for my honeymoon this October. We have already purchased our flights with Delta and our AIRBNB that we will be staying in. Will we be allowed to enter Mexico? I also see warnings for a high crime rate there. Is this something to worry about? Will we have a hard time returning to the US? Thanks!

    • Kevin Van Houten says

      You’ll want to check after Aug 20, because the current restrictions are set to expire on that date. US Citizens returning to the US are not affected even now.

    • Kevin says

      Americans can fly unrestricted to Mexico. You may also return to US with no issues other than depending on which US state you return to, you may be subject to a 14 day quarantine (such as NY). The US/Mexico border is still closed until at least September 20th and that may be extended depending on Covid infection rates. Punta Mita (Porta Villarta area) is very safe and crimes you have read about are typical in any US city (theft) so you have nothing to worry about. Mexican people are super friendly and awesome and narco related gangs you hear about in the news in Mexico don’t bother local Mexicans or tourists. Punta Mita is very chill and quiet — you will love it.

  35. Lexi says

    Hi there,

    I live in LA and was planning to travel to Mexico for two night for vacation. The home I renting is open- any idea if I’ll have trouble driving from LA with a US passport?


    • Angela D marquez says

      My husband is Mexican and went to Mexico for visais stuck there I can’t afford to stay in us can I join him in Mexico

      • Celeste says

        Yes you can join him. But at the border or in the airport upon arriving to mexico you need to get a 180 day permit from Mexican immigration. It costs like $25 so you can be legal until you imigrate with Permanant residency there. After a year or 2 you are eligible to file for dual citizenship.

  36. Aaron says

    i have a meeting in Tijuana next week. i need to enter mexico at the otay mesa crossing and my meeting is 2.5 miles from the border. should be a 2hr or less meeting then i need to come back to the US same right after that.

    is this okay? do i need anything but my passport?

  37. christopher benavente says

    Do I have to self quarantine if I’m only visiting for 2 days?

  38. Vic says

    I have dual citizenship with the US and Mexico. I am planning on traveling to Jalisco. Will I have any trouble entering Mexico, even though I’m a Mexican national?

  39. Steph says

    We made the mistake of listening to a friend’s lawyer that they were not enforcing expired FMM because of Covid and the demand. I was pregnant and we decided not to risk driving to Canada because of the high risk back home. However, I lost the baby here and needed to quarantine until I healed before going anywhere. I now want to go home and have both expires TIP and FMM and keep reading there are stops all along the toll highway looking for expired to impound. I have never felt more stressed

    • Miriam says

      No you won’t, my brother who is in the same situation asi you, just went for the weekend and didn’t had any problem crossing to mexico or USA.
      Just carry your Mexican passport with you.

  40. Rick Echeverria says

    I plan to cross into Mexico at the Nogales crossing with an FMM to stay 180 days and I own a home in Jalisco where I reside for the 180 days a year (snowbird)… Do you think I will be able to cross without any problems??? Thanks, Rick

  41. Donna Carter says

    We need to travel from Alberta to Puerto Vallarta via Houston on Aug 6 Does anyone know if we will be able to travel or will we be held up in Houston?

    • Anonymous says

      I’m driving up to Austin on the 6th as well to take care of a family member, will they let us in? (All US citizens)

  42. Marina says

    I have a question, I hope someone can answer. I recently moved to the US from Mexico. I own a Mexican vehicle and have had it here for about 11 months. I have to cross it back to Mexico because I can’t have the vehicle in the US for more than a year. I’m just going to the border and bringing it back home. I have dual citizenship. Should I have any issues with this?

    • larry says

      If you’re a dual citizen you can go to either country without asking they cannot stop you

    • Laura Anderson says

      I would register your car in California if you have dual citizenship. Than you can have a California plate and a Mexico plate. Car registration is only a year long so it shouldn’t effect the one year vehicle in the states issue for you.

      • Jennifer Arellano says

        Can you tell me how to do this or direct me to a website please?
        Thank You.

        • Erin McCarthy says

          I am so curious if you went and had issues. my answer if it had been on time would have been hmmmmm Risky. Very risky. In my experience no two ports of entry operate by the the same rules and the rules are interpreted differently by individual agents. After being held for questioning and frisked more than once I overheard more than once the huddle of agents deciding my fate with shrugs and “I’m okay with letting her go are you okay with it Agent so and so?” And then your fate is depending on Agents so and so’s mood that day….. There’s very little Inter agency communication going on and unfortunately the men and women with the authority to say have a nice day or make sure you certainly don’t seem to be the last to know. If you were curious about the tedious process, have loads of patience, loads of time on your hand, and wouldn’t be offended if a high school educated agent at the gates assumes if you’re from Turkey you’re probably Muslim and if you’re Muslim you most likely have tennis shoes wired to go boom, then vamos a la playa. Otherwise don’t cross the border for a vacation. Maine is really lovely this time of year.

  43. RAM BARAN PİÑA says

    Hi dears
    I really need help.
    I am a Turkish citizen in the U.S with B2 tourist visa which allows me to stay until 11th of August. I live in my motor home.
    Can I cross the border with my motor home and enter to Mexico as non-citizen from any border which is more West since I am in California.

    Thank you so much

    • Laura Anderson says

      Yes if you are a US citizen or a visa citizen they can’t deny you access

      • Carla says

        He is not a US citizen. He said is in US with a B2 visa, therefore his re-entry in the US will be likely to be denied.

  44. K Much says

    We are planning to fly to Puerta Vallarta for vacation in early August. Our resort is open and the airlines are on track to take us and bring us back. Anything to be concerned about regarding COVID and travel to Mexico?

    • Sylvia Harder says

      Jalisco / PV is experiencing rapidly increasing Covid infections and deaths. If you become infected with Covid during your stay, what are your expectations of the Mexican medical system? Hospitals and front line medical workers are super-stressed looking after nationals. Do you have plans for isolation of any member of your traveling group should there be infection? You are planning to travel into a high risk area during a period of rising infections and deaths. How do you feel about that?

    • K E says

      We are in the same situation, but going to a different Mexico destination mid August. I think we’re planning to go for it. It’s probably the safest time to travel… EVERYTHING is ultra clean! We feel if you wash your hands a ton… wear a mask, it should be fine.

    • Adri says

      No, just use your mask and take care of not getting infected. No restrictions of any kind in Mexico.

  45. Roger Caceres says

    Hi, We are planning to cross the Laredo border driving from Jacksonville, Fl by the end of July. We are headed to Puerto Escondido, Oaxaca, I need to find out if the restrictions are still in place for US citizens. I have tried calling several times, but no one answers.
    Thank you

    • Steven Sims says

      Roger; I crossed out of Laredo and into Nuevo Laredo on July 19 and had no issues at all. I drove from there to Jalisco and was never bothered, stopped, questioned. Nothing unusual about the trip at all.
      You should be fine.

  46. Lindsay Russell says

    My name is Lindsay!
    I was born in Mazatlan Mexico in 1985 but do not have a Mexican issued passport. Only Mexican birth certificate and certificate of birth abroad. I am planning to fly down to help my dad with some things in Mazatlán using CBx boarder crossing into Tijuana and flying volaris to Mazatlan on Sunday July 19th. Will I be able to get I to the country or be turned away?

    • Vic says

      You will need a valid american passport to cross the border into the U.S. now. They won’t allow your birth certificate like before. You might be able to apply for one at the U.S. Embassy or Consulado Americano.
      Just realized you date has passed. Sorry

      • Itzel says

        I’ve tried reaching out to the embassy for a passport renovation but keep getting canceled. I’m currently 5 months pregnant and HAVE to travel in order to recieve prenatal care in the US. Is there any way I could enter without a passport?

      • Debbie says

        Actually you can cross with your birth certificate and ID. I have 2 times this year…

    • Carlos says

      hellos Lindsay, I was born in Mazatlan too in 1982

  47. Lauren says

    Buenos Dias, to our distant friends at Mexexperiance!

    My best friend retired & moved to Mazatlán 20 years ago, but her husband just died and she needs my help…so I’m in the process of selling my car & packing my things to move to Mazatlán next month with a 6-month Mexican VISA which is the first step in my efforts to gain a Temporary Residency VISA – when I get to Mexico. The Mexican Consulate in Denver authorized my Menaje de Casa as well. But the restrictions per COVID have made it difficult to know if I’ll be able to cross the border when I get there – because general news outlets are not addressing my concerns. So I’m grateful that you’ve address such – per this post – wherein you state that:

    …If you’re a Mexican citizen, or you have a legal residency permit for Mexico (Residente Temporal or Residente Permanente), you can cross the border by road and return home to Mexico…

    However, I’m still nervous about the situation because so much is at stake! So, I’m hoping that my Mexican VISA for 6-months will be enough evidence that I’m in the process of applying for & gaining my Temporary Residency VISA when I get to Mazatlán – because the 6-month Visa is – technically – not a Temporary Residency VISA until I apply for such in Mazatlán.

    Can you clarify this issue for me – so I can proceed with additional confidence – as I yank my roots out of the ground with great trepidation?

    • Mexperience says

      Hi Lauren,

      If you have a Residency Visa sticker in your passport, then you should have no trouble crossing and you can explain if necessary that you are en route to Mazatlán to exchange your residency Visa sticker for a residency card. (As you mentioned the consulate issued you with a Menaje de Casa, I take it that you have a *residency* sticker and not a 6-month *visitor* visa sticker.)

      Residency visa stickers need to be exchanged for a residency card *within 30 days* of your entry date to Mexico at the nearest INM office to where you will live.

      If you need assistance with the exchange process, you might consider using our associate’s Immigration Assistance service, details here:

      Wishing you well with your move!

      • Benjamin says

        Hi, I am a french art director working in Los Angeles with a O1 visa, I made the mistake to fly to France to see my family and am now stuck there, I was denied boarding on my connecting flight and had to return to my parents home. I was advised by friends to fly to mexico, quarantine there then travel back to the US. Will I be allowed to cross? I have an appartment and job in L.A so the situation is stressful, I need to return. Thank you for your help!

        • Lisa Torres says

          HI Marie – I have the same situation for my boyfriend who has a 3-yr 01 visa and has been stuck in France for 7 months. From the people I’ve spoken to, the best bet for an EU citizen to get into the US now is through Mexico, however I do not believe that a 14-day quarantine is required, but if is better if you are traveling from a lower risk area such as Baja California. Another option is to quarantine for 2 weeks in the UK, then enter the US. Hope this helps:)

  48. Maria says

    We are planning to cross the Mariposa border July 18 headed to Michoacán where both my husband and I have a home in our name.. He is Mexican born with a permanent resident card for the USA , I am a US citizen as are our children.. Do me and the kids need to get a tourist permit since technically we aren’t tourists we are home owners? And will we be allowed to cross into Mexico? He has an elector with our Mexican address and we have a water bill..

  49. Ben says

    I want to go to Cedros Island (Isla de Cedros) this summer. The private plane from the fishing resort leaves from a small airport on the US side of the border, and usually refuels in either Ensenada (Military airport) or San Felipe, where we get the free 7 day visas, before flying to Cedros. Return is usually to TJ airport, then across the border to Brown Field for US CBP inspection. Does this all sound possible now? Thank you.

    • Mexperience says

      Hi Ben, we’d recommend you speak with the people flying the plane. Some smaller airports across Mexico are closed or restricted and the airplane opeartors should be aware of sitautions locally/to where they fly.

  50. gregory says

    can i travel from el paso into juarez mx as a tourist as of today

  51. Kim says

    I plan on traveling to Mexico thru San ysidro border just for a few hours. Any problems returning to the US?

  52. Alberto says

    I am a Mexican citizen and need to sign some bank papers in San Diego. Does anybody know if this would qualify as essential travel?

    • Celeste says

      Yes. It qualifies as essential travel but you need proof of such from the bank.

  53. Natalya Sandberg says

    We are family of 5 planning to drive to San Felipe (Baja) July 18. And yes, the purpose is tourism. What is the chance in July to be allowed to cross Mexican land border as “non-essential” travelers? Did someone cross the border the other day and how is the situation at the border?

    • Lester says

      Everything is closed in San Felipe; no bars, no sit-in dining, no quad rentals; everything except the beaches out of town. My folks are rushing back because covid infections rose from 7 to 90 people in a matter of days. They have a vacation home there and we were going to go this 4th of July but canceled; too much hassle for now.

      • Natalya Sandberg says

        Thank you Lester! It is very important information. Stay safe!

  54. Vanessa says

    My boyfriend and I need to get new 180 day tourist visas as well as a new car permit. We have a deed to the house that his mother owns in Casas Grandes and bills documenting that we’ve been staying in Mexico for the last 180 days. Does anyone know if they are granting new tourist visas and car permits at land boarders (specifically the Palomas,Chihuahua/ Columbus, NM)

    • Maria says

      Im wondering the same on the tourist visas since there isn’t an online way to get it…. as for the import permit ,online is what I did, got it in less than 2 days. Its emailed to you now no more stickers. Just make sure you check your email with a real computer not cell because the attached wont open 🤦🏻‍♀️ Lol learned the hard way.

      • Dave says

        I assume by permit, you mean the 180 day import permit for your car.
        If yes, please give me the email address to apply to, to get the permit.
        How do you pay for it …. by giving them a visa number on line ?
        If there are no stickers, how do you show proof of validity/payment ?
        Don’t quite understand how you could get a car permit on-line when the official stance at the moment is that no tourist visas ( FMM’s ) are being issued because the ” no land border crossing permissions ” are being extended until at least mid-August

  55. SveA says

    Hello, is there any restriction on flying from Mexico back to the US with a US visa? I cannot find any information on the topic of air travel between the countries that is not geared specifically to citizen or permanent residents of either country which I am not (EU citizen). I have a valid non-immigrant US visa and have not been out of the country this year. Planning a last minute trip to Cancun but am worried about reentering the US. This is by air, not land border crossing. Anyone here with a US visa that has traveled between the two countries recently?

    • Gessica says

      Hey I`m also planning on doing that. I’m a student with a F-1 visa but I’m currently in Brazil so I’m not allowed to re-enter the US bcs of the 14 day rule. I thought of spending 14 day in Cancun before flying back to the US. Not sure if will work, but I`m still planning on doing this. Let me know if worked for you. Good luck

      • Vinicius says

        Oi Gessica, estou na mesma situação, com os mesmos planos. Chegou a consultar com outras pessoas?

    • Isabela Oliveira says

      I hope to get those answers too. Im in the same situation as you!

  56. Angela Fraher says

    My husband and I are planning to travel to Rivera Maya in September. Can we still fly to Mexico and would the borders be open up for tourism?

    • Jason Beebe says

      You can fly to Mexico. A lot of the smaller airports are shutdown. Keep in mind a lot of the beaches are closed too along with the businesses around them.

    • Lilian says

      Yes, you can fly to Mexico, Cancun and la Riviera Maya is open for turist

  57. Donald Stout says

    We are buying a home in Puerto Vallarta with closing expected within a couple of weeks. We are planning to drive down from the US to PV in late July/early August to supervise some repairs on the house. I’m concerned about the report of roadblocks in some towns. I’m wondering if proof of ownership of the house, such as a copy of the deed, will be sufficient to get us through. We don’t have temporary or permanent residency. We will be driving on Hwy 2 from Naco on the AZ border, west to Hwy 15/15D and down from there. Thanks.

    • Javier says

      I wouldn’t chance it if your closing can be postponed. Local officials in small towns are turning away gringos from US out of spite. It’s revenge for US building the wall. I don’t blame them.

      • June says

        It’s not revenge, it is like that to keep both sides of the border with less people than usual means less people that will get sick, it’s logic.

  58. Lee Edmond says

    My wife and I are hoping to retire in Quintana Roo, but planned on traveling on a 180-day tourist visa while checking it out. We are traveling in a motor home with a towed vehicle. We are fully informed regarding the usual requirements, but until reading this article, believed that we would not be allowed to enter Mexico until the border was “opened” to non-essential travel. The article makes it sound like our only issue will be the possible road-blocks after entering Mexico. If we plan on staying on the toll-roads and heading south as expeditiously as possible, should we still expect issues or might we be able to get to Quintana Roo without much hassle?

    • Russ Rahn says

      Last week, I drove from Queretaro to Nuevo Laredo on the toll roads. I didn’t see any roadblocks on south bound side other than the long established one near Matehuala (for north bound and south bound traffic).

      • Wil Roy says

        So you can’t get to Mahaheul from Tulum?

  59. JL. says

    Can I citizen of the U.S. cross to Mexico? I’m going To the border in SanYsidrio and wondering if I could cross??

    • Mananero says

      Yes you can cross. The land border at San Ysidro is open both ways.

  60. Curt Hopkins says

    Here is a tricky one. My sister in law and brother in law came to visit us in the US along with their 2 year old son. All three have Mexican passports. Due to COVID they could not get back to Mexico and my sister in law had her baby in the US. To fly back the baby needs a passport and only “Life or Death” situations can get a passport. They have the baby’s birth certificate. Their visas are close to expiring and the one may lose his job since he is not back in Mexico. Suggestions?

    • Adri says

      Anyone can come to Mexico.
      I have traveled twice from
      México to the US with no problems.

      • PattyWatty says

        Hi Audrey
        Can I walk thru the Otay Mesa without a Passport to catch my flight from Tijuana to Mexico City

  61. Carol says

    I need to travel to Mexico for surgery. I don’t have a passport, but the surgeon’s coordinators say a driver’s license and birth certificate are fine. However, my driver’s license just expired and they still aren’t renewing them due to COVID (I have to do it in person this time). In the US, they are “extending” them and honoring them until DMVs start renewing again, but will Border Patrol honor it when coming back into the US?

    • Mexperience says

      Hi Carol,
      This CBP website page explains what documentation you need to enter the US.

      The US border officials *might* let you back in with a birth certificate/driver’s license, but officially only minors can use a birth certificate to enter.

      To enter Mexico by land you need a passport or passport card; you can find details about documentation required on this Mexperience article:

      • Claudia says

        I apply for my passport but just have receipt. It doesn’t state what other document you can present to get permit?

    • rick says

      hi I just went down last weekend and got back across with my birth certificate and a old driver license and I am going again this weekend with the same I am going by Mexicali going threw san diego is a little harder but Mexicali I had no problem

      • melody says

        Hi rick,

        You were able to only show the birth certificate and driver license? I am going down there in Jan. for medical travel but will be traveling with another us citizen (like me) and he does not have a passport so just wondering if San Ysidro is open on the border for US citizens who wish to go into mexico for medical procedures?

  62. Lorena says

    Is the border open with people traveling with a visa?!?

  63. Romo says

    I heard that no children are allowed to pass the border, and only 2 adults per car, is this true?

    • Inocencia Quintero says

      My mother, 3 siblings and I are wanting to travel to Mexico to see our great grandfather who is sick (not related to COVID just of old age). We are planning on going June 27th. We were wondering if we will even be allowed to get a permit at the border for the car and allowed into the country? Also heard about returning on certain days due to how your car license plate ends?

      • Mexperience says

        Hi, there are no restrictions on entering Mexico, only entering/returning to the USA, but see article above and some comments too about possible road blocks near the US-Mexico land border. Your car’s Temporary Import Permit lasts for as long as your visitor visa (FMM) — usually 180 days. You must drive the car out of Mexico before these expire.

        • Alex M says

          The agreement on restricting non-essential travels is tri-lateral between Mexico, USA and Canada. Meaning, no tourists on ground crossings in either direction. This is only for ground crossings, not airports. USA and Canada follow the rules. Mexico don’t, what else is new…

          After you’ve crossed the border there are still checkpoints on the roads meant to stop those who don’t live South of the checkpoint, so you will need a proof of address.

  64. Annie Virgen says

    Hello! I want to start my enrollment into a Mexican University, I am in the need to travel over there to get all the papers and stuff to start my enrollment and Start school this September. Can I still travel to Mexico?

  65. Juan gonzalez says

    Can I get a car permit in Mexico due to covid?

  66. Kelly Douglas says

    My daughter lives in California and wants to fly into Guadajara to visit me. When can she fly into mexico????????😁

    • Mexperience says

      Hi Kelly,
      The land-border restrictions do not affect air travel presently. Mexico’s airports remain open and there are no restrictions to enter Mexico by air, but you should check with the airlines on their requirements for travel.

  67. YT says

    Hello, I’ve been going to San Miguel Allende and stay at my sister’s house for the last few years until the pandemic hit. I have a local doctor’s appt in 5 June hoping the travel ban would be over. Now it looks like it’s been extended to 23Jun. Without a resident card or utility bill, would I be able to enter BJX with a note from my Mexican Doctor?
    Thank you!

    • Mexperience says

      Hello YT, one of the definitions of “essential travel” is “Individuals traveling for medical purposes” so you can make the journey on that basis. We do recommend you take a letter from your doctor as they may ask for evidence of your travel purpose at the border.

  68. Chris says

    My wife and I live in Mexico. I have a temporal but my wife does not. She visits our children quite often. We have a lease with both our names on it. Do you believe she will be able to return to Mexico with a copy of the lease?

    • Trent says

      They said no restrictions going into Mexico. I came back into the US on May 29 with my vehicle, and they were asking I wanted an entry permit. I was there to cancel and get my deposit back

  69. john donnahoe says

    I have a home in San Carlos Sonora Mexico, and a home in Arizona, I was in Arizona when the restrictions were published, I need to get back to my San Carlos home, will I be prevented entry.

    • Dulce says

      I live in San Felipe, Baja California and there are checkpoints where you need proof of your Mexican address. So have your electric or water bill or something else official with your address on it or you may be turned back.

    • john tew says

      since you have a passport, no problem.but there r restrictions. no tourists. I live as does my son, in juarez. he works in el paso. border guards know him. your situation. call your border crossing, explain what you want to do. may need to have on you proof that you live in san carlos..

    • Ryan says

      You will have no problem if you have a home in San Carlos. Just have something handy to prove that you have a residence there (like a bill).

  70. Laurence says

    I have hired a Mexican National, who has been living in the USA for the past 10 years, to be my fishing lodge manager on Holbox Island.

    the Island is not allowing Tourists, but they do allow “workers”.
    Would he qualify to be allowed onto the island.

    • Mexperience says

      Laurence, if your employee crosses the border for work purposes, then that would likely fall under ‘essential travel’… you should probably check with the Island authorities on Holbox, in the case they may be demanding to see papers, to ask what documentation your employee may require to be allowed access to the island.

  71. John Eynon says

    Is the border in San Diego open to tourist traveling by car throughout Baja.

    • Don Neilson says

      From a close friend who lives in Rosarito Beach, B.C.: On the northern outskirts of Ensenada, police have set up a roadblock where they are checking I.D. If the occupants of the car do not have I.D. with an address beyond that point, the driver is denied entry to the city.

  72. Arlene says

    What measures will take place at airports if I fly to Mexico….ie: temperature-taking, personal history, etc.?

    • Mexperience says

      Hi Arlene, check with the airlines you are flying with for info about travel requirements and procedures.

  73. hillel batafik says

    Where is an explanation about restrictions for going from the USA into Mexico?

    • Mexperience says

      These are described in the last sub-heading/paragraph of the article.

  74. JOHN J DUPREE says

    I’m with newly attained Residente Permanente status. When wrapping up processing of my visa, I inquired about the requirement for a form documenting my exit from Mexico to present upon reentry and how that is achieved driving into USA. The INM agent grimmaced and said not to worry about it, only when walking through to USA I should get the form with no comment about my driving back into Mexico with no form. This discussion occurred prior to the COVID -19 pandemic. I understand that Mexico will let me return but will I be required to have official documentation of my prior exit now? Must I park on the Mexico side and risk the exposure walking out and returning in the ssme manner?

    • Dulce says

      I have had my Residente Permanente since 2013 and when walking or driving across the border I have never stopped to fill out the FMM or to return it. I fill it out only when I am flying out of Mexico or in. Even now with the current situation.

    • Jack B says

      I recommend that you get the FMM filled out before you leave Mexico just in case somebody asks for it on the return trip. It’s necessary for air travel, and I think it would be a good idea to have extra documentation with you. It does not cost anything. If you are driving by road up to Nogales, the place you need to do this as at kilometer 21.

  75. Russ says

    Although it is recommended that you stay where you are, people are still crossing the border. As it relates to Canadians there has been a great exodus to the north and none are being denied entry into the USA if they are travelling home (provided they have the right to be in the USA)

  76. Therese Cappadonia says

    I cannot find information regarding returning to México from USA. We have our 3 year temporals. If we should need to go NOB during this time, will we be allowed to return on those temporals?

    • Ryan says

      You will have zero problem returning and no one will ask to see your documents. I cross back and forth regularly (including today).

  77. John Griffiths says

    It sure would be nice to see at least one news agency US or Canadian let the loads of Canadians that winter here in Mexico know if they are able to cross the US/MEX border on their way back to Canada. Even the Canadian Embassy her does not say anything, not that I can find. All talk is about flying home.


    • Ian Irving says

      Global Affairs Canada has advised that I contact the US border services at the land crossing I intend to use. I haven’t been able to return to Canada yet as a family member has been recovering from a recent surgery.

      • Charles Kerr says

        we are Canadian citizens who have been in Mexico since before Christmas and were not aware of the march border closure when it happened, our plan was to wait until the planned April opening which has now been extended, We would like to drive home crossing the US border at Mariposa and continue on to British Columbia in the most expeditious manner possible. Are we allowed to cross the border into the US?

        • Kristin says

          I live in Belize and came to the US to care for my sick son. I’d like to drive an RV down and wait out the opening of the Belize border in Mexico. Will proof of living in Belize be enough to get me past the road blocks, or will that not fly since the Belize border is closed?

Leave a Reply to Carlos Cancel reply


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *