Becoming a Naturalized Mexican

If you’re in Mexico for the long-haul, you might choose to take your residency status to the next level: Naturalization

Mexican Passport

While many foreign residents arrive in Mexico for a time and return to their home countries within a few years, a significant number of expatriates do stay in Mexico long-term — perhaps for work or lifestyle reasons — but more usually when their partners and families have settled here, or when they retire.

If you’re in Mexico for the long-haul, at some stage you might choose to take your residency status to the next level: naturalization.  Naturalization is the process by which you apply for and, if successful, subsequently adopt Mexican Citizenship.

Mexican naturalization offers several benefits to foreigners.  Among them (in no particular order of importance):

  • you can cast a vote in Mexican elections;
  • you can change address or jobs without having to inform the National Institute of Immigration (INM) of your moves;
  • you can avoid having to visit Immigration kiosks at airports when you leave to check-out, and wait less time in immigration lines at airports on your return;
  • you avoid having to pay to change your immigration status and/or renew your visa each year to extend you stay in Mexico; and
  • you can own property situated near coasts and land borders in your own name without the need to operate a bank trust (fideicomiso) — which can save you thousands of dollars in fees over the years — although some people choose to operate a trust for estate planning purposes.

There are a few matters you should be aware of in regard to becoming a Naturalized Mexican.  Following your naturalization, while you are in Mexico, you are not allowed to seek consular protection by virtue of your ‘other’ nationality; so if you become caught up in any problems with the authorities you cannot rely upon your home country’s Consulate to support you. Depending on your country of citizenship, you might have to surrender your home country’s passport – and citizenship – when you acquire your Mexican nationality. (This is rare: most countries allow their citizens to hold dual or multiple nationalities.) You should also check with a financial adviser about the implications that your naturalization may have on your personal and business tax affairs.

The procedures which lead to Mexican naturalization demand a number of requirements for qualification.  These depend upon an assortment of factors such as your links to Mexico, your current immigration status, and how long you have been physically resident here.  Our Mexico Immigration Guide includes a chapter that covers these details; a good immigration lawyer can also help you establish your eligibility; or you might consider using our Relocation Consultancy Service for a consultation to talk in detail about your situation.

Once you file the application, the procedures take about a year to complete, and may take longer in some cases.  Toward the end of the process, you will be asked to sit an exam.  In years past, the exam consisted of studying 100 “multiple choice” type questions, answering 5 and getting at least 3 correct.  Since January 2018 the exam process has been revised to test your knowledge of Mexican culture and history, and a reading comprehension exam to test your Spanish language.  Minors, those over sixty years old, and refugees are exempt from the exam: proving that they have a basic grasp of Spanish in conversation at the naturalization interview will suffice.

At the completion of the journey that leads to your Mexican naturalization, you will get a handshake from an official at the SRE (Mexico’s equivalent of the US State Department), and a Naturalization Certificate.

With this certificate in hand, you may apply for your Mexican passport and, just as importantly, your IFE card (known colloquially as simply, el IFE) – that is technically a voter registration document, but also serves a de facto National ID Card in Mexico. The card incorporates features such as scanned fingerprints, holograms and other security devices. It’s the size of a driving license and is thus readily portable.

Residency requirement for Naturalized Mexican Citizens

If you become a Naturalized Mexican Citizen (i.e. a foreign national who applies for and gets granted Mexican Citizenship) and you subsequently reside outside of Mexico for 5 or more consecutive years, you legally lose your Mexican Citizenship.

We are not sure how this is tracked and enforced, but this restriction is explicitly documented in the legislation which governs ‘Naturalization’ of foreigners as Mexican Citizens. (Article 37, Part B, Section 2.)

Natural Mexican Citizens (Mexicans by birth) never lose their nationality, regardless of how long they might live outside of Mexico.

Need further information?

For detailed information about how to apply for Mexican Citizenship (including details about the new exam and its study guide), download the Mexico Immigration Guide.

If you need detailed advice about your specific circumstances, you might consider using this Mexico Relocation Consulting service.

You can also find extensive guides to living in Mexico here on Mexperience.

Mexico in your inbox

Our free newsletter about Mexico brings you a monthly round-up of recently published stories and opportunities, as well as gems from our archives.


  1. Maria M Santana says

    I am married to a Mexican citizen. How do I go about becoming a citizen as well. I am a U.S. born citizen but I spend equal amount of time in both countries

  2. Theresa Garcia says

    Hello. I received my double citizenship for Mexico (born in USA) by Mexican born father. I have since lost my citizen paperwork . How do I obtain a copy? What is needed? Please help!

  3. Roman says

    Hi, my son was born in Canada. I am a Canadian citizen and my wife is a Mexican citizen. Can I apply to become a mexican citizen or have a residency and then apply for citizenship? Thank you

    • JJj says

      yes you can . i did and its a very simple process

  4. Saeed says

    Hi, I and my wife both got Mexican PR in 2016 after our son was born in Mexico. Then we left Mexico and after 3 years (last year) we came back to the country. It is 4 years that we received our PR, for applying naturalization do we still need waiting for another year to accomplish 2 years law?

    • Mexperience says

      Hello Saeed, you need to have RP for 5 consecutive years; so your target date is 2021. It’s important that you are *physically resident in Mexico* with very few (and only short) absences in the two consecutive years before you apply. You can find details in the Immigration Guide (link above).

      If you would like assistance with the preparations and applications, consider using the Immigration Assistance Service:

      • Yolanda says

        Hi, my father has a house in mexico and is leaving his property to me, I am an American citizen, do I have to become a Mexican citizen to inherit the house? I do plan on retiring in Mexico.

  5. Antonia says

    Once one applies for Mexican citizenship, is one allowed to leave the country during the process? And if so, for how long. The reason I ask is that I have applied for a replacement card for my Permanent Resident card and while waiting for it to process( it has been 3.5 months so far), I can get temporary permission to leave for a maximum of 60 days. Is there a similar allowance when one has applied for citizenship.

  6. adam says

    hi. I plan to get married with my girlfriend in mexico. she is mexican. the question ; Does mexico allow dual citizenship ? Do I have to renounce my current citizenship while I apply for mexican citizenship ? thank you

    • John says

      Mexico does allow dual citizenship. But if you, for example, are from Austria, then you Austria doesn’t allow you have dual citizenship, so from the Austrian side, you wouldn’t be able to have both. So basically, in this case it will depend on your country, because Mexico does allow it.

  7. bk says

    I am a naturalized US citizen. Can I become a naturalized Mexican citizen ? will I lose my US Citizenship ?

  8. TacoLover says

    Can a naturalized Mexican citizen live outside of Mexico for indefinite amount of time without losing the citizenship?

    • Mexperience says

      Mexicans by birth never lose their citizenship, regardless of how long they may reside outside of Mexico. However, people who acquired Mexican Citizenship through a procedure of naturalization by law lose their Mexican nationality if they remain resident outside of Mexico for 5 continuous years. How this is traced and enforced is not clear, but if you intend to retain your Mexican naturalization status once acquired, you should not remain resident outside Mexico for more than 5 continuous years.

      • Ernest Winstead says

        Article 37, Part B, Section 2 (an English version has it under Part A) of the Mexican Constitution says that a naturalized Mexican can lose his/her citizenship if resides for 5 continuous years outside the country. The most recently updated constitution (2019) still has this statement.

  9. BISWAJ says

    hi, one question i am about to apply for Mexican citizenship after staying in Permanent Resident status for few years. My question is aftre getting Mexican citizenship am i eligible for TN visa that allows to work in USA lie any other Mexican and Canadian citizen?

    Thank you

    • Mexperience says


      You need to direct that question to the US Consulate / State Department.

    • balu says

      Hi Biswaj, do you have any further information that you gathered?

  10. Kevin_In_Mexico says

    In your article, there is a mention about renunciation of country of origin/birth during naturalization in Mexico. Quote as below:

    “Depending on your country of citizenship, you might have to surrender your home country’s passport – and citizenship – when you acquire your Mexican nationality. (This is rare: most countries allow their citizens to hold dual or multiple nationalities.)”

    Which countries are required to be renounced? What documents do I need to submit to Mexico government if my country is one of the countries required to be renounced? Or just simply turn in passport of my country of birth to Mexico government during naturalization?

    Your answers are much appreciated. Thanks.

    • Mexperience says

      Hi Kevin,
      You need to contact your country’s consulate / State Department to ask about the policy for the country in regard to multiple nationalities. If you need to surrender your passport to acquire a different nationality, they will tell you what the procedure is to do that.

  11. Jessica Campos says

    I was born in Mexico and became a US citizen when I turned 19 years old. I also decided to make a few changes on my name once I became a US citizen. My question is: Can I obtain my Mexican citizenship back? whats the process since my name is no longer the same from my birth certificate.

    • Loren F Malo says

      When you go to the Mexican embassy just make you have your Original birth certificate from Mexico 🇲🇽 They will literally type you in their system and you will pop up. You should really have any problems that’s what I did for years ago.

  12. Justice Menyah says

    I am a Ghanaian and married to a Mexican. I naturalized 2 years ago. I had to renounce my country of birth, of which I did. I love Mexico and also my country of birth. My question is can I use my Ghanaian passport outside of Mexico when traveling or I would have to use my new Mexican passport?
    I would like to visit my country next year and I don’t want to end up with any problem at the airports.


    • Mexperience says

      If you still have a Ghanaian passport, then presumably you are a dual-national. Most dual-nationals use their Mexican passport when leaving and re-entering Mexico and their other passport when entering/leaving their home country. Some countries require that you show both passports when entering–you would need to check with the Ghanaian consulate about that.

    • WannaBeMexican says

      Hi Justice,
      What is the renunciation of your country of birth (Ghana) for Mexican naturalization like? What steps did you have to go through? Did you have to submit any proof to Mexico government for your renunciation of Ghana citizenship? I wanted to know how stringent the requirement of renunciation of country of birth in the Mexico naturalization process?

  13. Olga says

    Hello. I lived in Mexico 9 years and I have permanent resident card. I have two children that born in Mexico. My husband is Mexican. We went after my husband to US for work and my visa right now depends from his visa TN (my visa TD). He tramited his visa inside of country and we can not right now go back to Mexico. We still have our house in Mexico. My older son born in my country (Russia) and he had temporal card from Mexico, I need to renew his card but I can not return right now to Mexico. Can I renew his visa in US? And other question: I was thinking to aply for naturalization. Can I apply from US? We are married 13 years. Thank you

    • Mexperience says

      Hi Olga,
      You need to be physically in Mexico to renew your Mexican residency card/status, and you need to physically in Mexico to apply for naturalisation (citizenship). These procedures cannot be undertaken outside of Mexico.

  14. Roman says

    I had a child in Mexico, and I registered him with Mexican citizenship (I’m in the status of a tourist). If I leave from Mexico, can I be the parent of a Mexican child to apply for permanent permanent residence in a country of my own by contacting the consulate of Mexico? 2) If I return to Mexico as a tourist and a child as a Mexican citizen can I be refused entry to the country by a migration officer at the airport?

  15. Adrian says

    My wife’s parents were born in Mexico, but she was born in the u.s. is it easier for our family the get a permenant Visa or dual citizenship?

  16. Gary says

    I am a professional looking to become a naturalized citizen in Mexico. Can you give me any information on their rumored points system?

    • Mexperience says

      Hi Gary,
      The Points System was referenced in the 2012 Law; however, it has never been formally introduced and, as of spring 2018, there is still no information about it. It’s effectively unavailable as a route to application for residency, and we have no information about when it might become available.

  17. Rose says

    Excuse me does your guide 2018 includes a better study guide than the bibliography posted on SRE page? Or is the same? Because I haven’t been able to find anything new about the current exams. Only the old 100 questions thanks.

    • T Richardson says

      I too am looking for the possible 100 questions for the updated SRE 2018 exam. As of this date almost 40% of the 10 question test, are NOT within the Bibliography provided by SRE. (as reported on an independant expat site). This makes it very difficult to study for the test when the content give is over 1000pages and counting.

      • Mexperience says

        Hi Rose and T,

        Thanks for your comments. The exam is very new and we have no further details about it than what is published by the Ministry of Foreign Relations (SRE).

        One of our associates is assisting a client with the new exam as part a naturalization application and, based on that real-life experience, we will be able to publish additional information in due course — likely by late summer.

  18. Shari says

    I’ve been living in Baja Norte for 5 yrs, no visa only random 7 day tourist visas, I am marrying a Mexican in Mexico. Where is the best place to start getting legal?

    • Mexperience says

      Hi Shari,

      After marrying a Mexican national you will be able to apply for residency right away and (if you want to afterwards) you can then apply citizenship after 2 full years of permanent residency.

      You can contact an immigration lawyer locally to discuss your situation, or if you want to get a handle on the rules yourself, full details about the residency and citizenship requirements and processes to follow are in the Mexico Immigration Guide:

      Alternatively, if you want some one-to-one counsel over the phone/email to discuss your individual situation, you might consider the “Relocation Consultancy” service that covers immigration/naturalization matters:

      Wishing you well with your plans.

    • Ray M says

      Probably Mexicali, B.C. since it is the capital of Baja and all of the government offices are there. Near the “registro civil” in Mexicali there are private practices that can assist and help speed up the process. I did it some years back and it took alot of patience as well as many mexican pesos. Also, make sure you have a relatively clean background in your country of origin or you may encounter problems when applying for mexican citizenship.

  19. Creagh says

    I am 67 from USA. I will apply for naturalization in May. Do I need to have my birth certificate apostilled in Oklahoma and the translated into Spanish or vice versa? I live in AZ so it would be easier to get the translation done after it is apostilled. Also I have been in and out of Mexico during my five years with permanent residency. Will my application be denied because I have spent more than 180 days outside of Mexico during the last two years.

    • Mexperience says

      Hi Creagh,

      Any foreign-issued documents you use as part of your application (e.g. Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate) need be Notarized and translated into Spanish. Translations must be done by approved translators–ask the local INM office for a list of locally-certified translators, and/or search online. You can find information about Notarizing your documents here:

      People 60 years of age and over are exempt from taking the exam but must still qualify under other criteria which include having to be physically in Mexico: The applicant must prove 5 consecutive years with either Temporary Residency or Permanent Residency, and must not have been physically outside of the country for more than 180 days (about six months) in the last 2 years prior to the application date. (If you are married to a Mexican national, the qualification period may reduce to 2 years.)

  20. Don says

    I am 65. Do I need to be in Mexico for 16 months out of 24 as one of the conditions in order to become a citizen?

    • Mexperience says

      Hi Don,

      While you are exempt from the exam at 65, you must still qualify under the other criteria which include having to be physically in Mexico full-time for the period leading up to the application. Other than very occasional and brief visits abroad (for a short holiday) you should ideally be in Mexico for at least the last 12 months.

  21. Sam says

    I have read that naturalized Mexican citizens cannot do some things natural born citizens can, like: serve on a mexican aircraft as a pilot or cabin crew or join the military in a time of peace. Can you please clarify? Thanks!

  22. G Marie says

    Trying to gain a Mexican passport. My father is born in Mexico and my mom in the US.
    What documents do I need? And…
    If I need his passport, can I obtained his birth certificate without him even if he is still living? He is uncooperative at times.

    • Mexperience says

      Hi G Marie,

      You can make an application for nationality (and thereafter, apply for a Mexican passport) based on your Father’s Mexican nationality. You don’t need his passport, but you will need a copy of his Birth Certificate which can be acquired from the state where he was born.

      You can find full details about the requirements and processes to follow in the Mexico Immigration Guide:

      Or, if you want some one-to-one counsel over the phone/email to discuss your individual situation, you might consider the “Relocation Consultancy” service that covers immigration/naturalization matters:

      Wishing you well with the application

  23. Abigail says

    My father lives in Mexico and my mother is with me in the US, both of my parents were born in Mexico, but I was born in the US. If my mother doesn’t have her papers but she’s working on them, can I still get dual citizenship through my dad who is still living in Mexico? I was thinking to use my dual citizenship to reduce my cost of tuition as well other things.

  24. joe says

    Hello, I was born in Mexico and moved to the US when my parents divorced. During the divorce my name was changed to my mothers maiden name. I have my original Mexican birth certificate but the name on that document is different than my drivers license and US passport. Do I have to go to Mexico to change my name on my Mexican birth certificate? Do I need to hire an attorney in Mexico to do this without going to Mexico?

  25. Cameron says

    This question may seem silly, but if I have had my permanent visa for 1.5 years, which I got after having the temporary visa for 4 years, and I have been married to a Mexican national for 2 years, would I be able to start my naturalization process now, or do I have to wait until I’ve been with my permanent residency card for 2 years? I’ve basically been a resident here for 5.5 years. The law doesn’t seem to be clear about that.

    • Mexperience says

      Hi Cameron, you would most probably have to have 2 full and continuous years of permanent residency status before you can apply for citizenship as a foreign resident married to a Mexican national.

  26. Sheila says

    HI, I can’t find any information on how and when the ebooks are delivered, or what format they are in. Can you help me with this?

    • Mexperience says

      Hi Sheila,

      Thank you for your question. Our Mexico eBooks are delivered in PDF files and you can download them immediately after payment. Our eBooks Shop sends you an email with an encrypted link that enables you to download the eBook file(s) to your computer.

      You can find full information on our FAQs page, here:

  27. Mamad says

    Hi guys
    Can i get visa or mexican citizenship with investor like start business???

  28. John says

    I’m looking for information to gain Mexican citizenship. I have a son from a Mexican national. He was born in Mexico and has both US and Mexican citizenship and passports. Can this benefit and expedite the naturalization process for me or will 5 yrs be the standard. Thank for any assistance.

    • Mexperience says

      Hello John,

      Normally, you would have to be married and living in Mexico to qualify for the shorter (2 year) nationalization period; although you might qualify for the exemption if your dependent son is Mexican.

      If you are seeking some detailed advice based on your personal circumstances, you might consider our Relocation Consulting Service, that’s offered in partnership with immigration lawyers in Mexico. You can find details of the service here:

      Wishing you well with your plans,

  29. Akinyande fun so says

    Please kindly advice me , how long can I use my permanent resident before applying for nationality in Mexico?

    • Mexperience says

      Hello Akinyande,
      You would normally need to be permanently resident for 5 years before being able to apply for Mexican Citizenship. However, if you are married to a Mexican National, then this can be reduced to 2 years. You can find full details about applying for Citizenship in the Guide to Mexico Immigration:

  30. Jan says

    I understand that when applying for Mexican Citizenship, the applicant cannot be out of Mexico for more than 180 days in two years. Is this correct or has the number of days allowed out of country changed?

    • Mexperience says

      Hi Jan,
      That information is correct: when applying for Mexican Citizenship, the applicant cannot be out of Mexico for more than 180 days in two years.

  31. ben says

    Hi I am looking for some information as to gaining Mexican citizenship, if you are married to a Mexican national does the wedding and marriage certificate have to be in Mexico or will a US mmarriage be acceptable? Also we live in the US, in order for me to gain citizenship would I have to live in Mexico for a certain amount of time before gaining naturalization, and if so are there any ways around that? Thank you for your time and help

    • Mexperience says

      Hi Ben, if you married a Mexican national outside of Mexico (e.g. in the USA) then your US marriage certificate will be valid as proof, but you will need to get it apostiled by US authorities (contact State Department for details) for it it be recognized in Mexico. As a foreigner married to a Mexican national you need to have permanent residency status for at least 2 years to apply for naturalization.

      You can find out about how to Apostille your documents on this article:

  32. Ray says

    my mom was born in Mexico. I was born in Detroit. I would like to obtain Mexican citizenship. What do I need to do?

  33. matthew says

    My son was born in the usa and he just got his Mexican Citizenship. I want to buy property but i need to know what we need to do for him to make ME a citizen. Is this possible and how? Any links? i am fluent in spanish but the consulate web site is no help.

  34. For Emma says

    Emma: you need to live as a legal resident in Mexico at least 2 years before obtaining the Mexican citizenship. Your child can have it immediately because she’s the daughter of a Mexican. He only has to register her in the nearest Mexican Consulate.

  35. Emma says

    I’m a French citizen and I’m married to a Mexican citizen. We recently decided to move back to Mexico and I would like to get the Mexican citizenship. Do I have to get a FM3 before requesting the citizenship? We also have a 2 year old daughter and we’ve been living together for about 3 years in Mexico and in Canada.
    Thank you,

  36. John Howse says

    If you are over 60, do you still need to be able to speak Spanish to get Mexican citizenship?
    I thought their was an exception in the past.


    • Mexperience says

      Hi John,
      At the age of 60+, you are not required to take the test, but there’s still an interview that needs to take place with an officer of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, and the applicant will need to speak some Spanish at some point of the interview – so a basic conversational grasp is recommended.

Leave a Reply to Ray M Cancel reply


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *